Carbon monoxide is known as a silent killer. Because we can’t detect it ourselves, carbon monoxide poisoning results in the accidental deaths of hundreds of Americans each year. Testing every carbon monoxide detector in your home on a regular basis is a simple way to ensure you and your family’s safety.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is the by-product of fuel-burning appliances, equipment and automobiles. Faulty, dirty or inefficient heating equipment is typically to blame for giving off carbon monoxide, and a lack of adequate ventilation in the home contributes to danger.
Carbon monoxide causes harm and ultimately death by preventing the transfer of oxygen to the brain, heart, lungs and other vital organs. Symptoms include nausea, dizziness, vomiting, confusion and unconsciousness. In addition to hundreds of fatalities each year from CO poisoning, thousands more carbon monoxide poisoning victims end up in the emergency room.
Carbon monoxide can’t be seen, and it’s tasteless and odorless. Using carbon monoxide detectors is the only practical way to keep your home safe. Make sure your carbon monoxide detectors are functioning properly with these tips:
Learn more about the carbon monoxide detector and other indoor air quality solutions available from McDevitt Air, or give us a call at 877-692-9402 to schedule an appointment with one of our experienced HVAC technicians!
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com